Creating a Google Maps Custom Route
Creating your own custom Google Map is not a daunting task, however, it requires careful planning to ensure you get the best result. It is a good tool for planning travel to a new city or country, can easily navigate a popular route or multiple locations so you do not get stranded or lost. This is a must use tool for hikers, cycler s, joggers, visitors, and travelers.
Get directions for driving, public transit, biking, walking, and flying.
1. Start your directions search.
- Search for a place, then select Directions on the info card. If you have a home or work addresses saved, you can click one of the highlighted routes on the map.
- Click anywhere on the map (including a placemark), then select Directions on the info card that appears.
- Hover over the search box, then click Directions.
2. Set your route.
- Enter your starting point and destinations. You can type them in or click the places on the map.
- See your options. Your potential routes appear directly below the search box. You can toggle between route options by clicking the alternate info cards (shown in gray on the map) in the top left corner.
- Get your directions. Hover over the white route nodes to see key directions on the map, or click Step-by-step to see a full list of your directions. From here, you can print using the button in the top right corner. To exit, click Full map view on the map on your screen.
To change your mode of transportation, click the icon for a car, transit, bike, walk, or airplane. The best way to your destination is highlighted first, in blue.
Note: Directions searches might not be available in all regions.
Add multiple destinations and waypoints
Here’s how to get directions with additional destinations or waypoints:
- Get directions using the instructions above.
- Click the + button in the info card at the top of the map.
If you don’t see the + button, see alternate instructions at the bottom of this page.
- In the text box that appears, type a destination. You can also click the place on the map.
- To add another destination, click + again.
- To remove a destination, hover over the place in the card and click the X that appears to the right of the address. To adjust the order of your destinations, click and drag the circles to the left of the destination names.Note: Multiple destinations are not available for public transit directions or flight searches.
Launch Google Maps Engine in your browser by using this link:
Click ‘Create a new Map’ to get started.
Give your map a Title and Description for quick future reference.
Start adding layers. In this example, I add a POI to my map using the POI tool.
You can also add a link to an image you want to associate with that POI marker. Add as many markers as you like to create your map.
Use the ‘Line’ tool to draw a polygon around a specific area you want to add to your map.
Add Driving Directions between points on the map. This will be helpful when you’re in the car, as you can just click the Layer to launch turn-by-turn navigation.
Depending on what you need the map for, you may want to change the Base Map.
View your new Map on your Android phone to interact with it.
- Download the free Google Maps Engine app.
- Sign into your Google account.
- Drag the sidebarfrom the left to view and edit the maps you created on your computer.