What is Search Engine Optimization – SEO
What is SEO
Search engine optimization is more about visibility of your site position on the top position of the search engine result page.
Google has this to say about SEO
SEO is an acronym for “search engine optimization” or “search engine optimizer.” Deciding to hire an SEO is a big decision that can potentially improve your site and save time, but you can also risk damage to your site and reputation. Make sure to research the potential advantages as well as the damage that an irresponsible SEO can do to your site. Many SEOs and other agencies and consultants provide useful services for website owners, including:
1. Review of your site content or structure
3. Content development.
4. Management of online business development campaigns.
5. Keyword research.
6. SEO training.
SEO recognized by search engines
Improving visibility on the search engine – The first step most website owners take to improve their visibility is to submit their site to search engine, so that it will be crawled. To make it easier sitemaps are submitted, to guide to spider to relevant pages on the site. The most important page for webmasters on the search engine is the first page and the first position, because it is believed that the bulk of traffic is received by the first result on the first page about 45% or more for most keywords.
Organic search result – unpaid and natural organic result is the true test of an efficient SEO, when website receives result based on natural and unpaid result directly from keywords result from the search engine it is said to be organic.
On page optimization – Search engines requires spiders that crawl website to determine its content relevance and importance, based on certain factors the articles and post are categorized and indexed by the search engine. The knowledge of the on page optimization factors can help websites to gain more visibility.
What is the search engine really looking for?
- Good content – Providing good content that is relevant and useful to the web readers, and also readable by the search engine spider. It should be understood and easily classified through the keywords in the content.
- Speed and performance – It is believed that visitors quite your webpage if the content does not open on time, Google itself had to tweak it pages to gain faster page opening speed. To achieve a faster speed the use of cache plugins is good, image size shrink, avoid heavy flashes and plugins that require a lot of resources. Use of Cdn are also advised.
- Authority and relevance – Who do you link to and who links to you.
- Bounce rate – How often does your visitors navigate to other pages on your site, do you have a good navigable menus and layout.
Components of a good search optimization campaign
For a search engine optimization campaign done carefully to gain result the following must have been done to improve the web pages content and visibility.
- A carefully selected keyword(s) and relevant keywords.
- Keywords highlighted in bold, italics and underline
- Keywords in the opening sentence and closing sentence
- Careful use of the header tags H1, H2, H3 in the content
- Links to authority and relevant websites
- Links to other relevant pages on the website
- Proper use of grammar and avoiding spelling mistakes
- Keywords in the meta description, tags and title
- Use of image alt descriptions and title
- Good content length – depending on your niche. 800 words ideal
Other search engine optimization factors include the off page optimization.
Off page Optimization – This require techniques that vary from one webmaster to another. Some so called search engine optimization expert proposes one technique while some other dispels them. To clear the air, the endorsement from authority and relevant sites to your niche helps you to get more visibility and credibility.
The need for endorsement done manually, that in an un-natural method is what most search engine optimization expert does. The ideal scenario is that a webmaster post a content that has a good on-page optimization and readable to the audience. Visitors to the site reads and endorse it to more people through social media, other readers and content managers may like it and also make reference to it; by providing a backlink(s) to the page. The more backlinks the content get the more the relevance and authority the search engine spider see it to be.
Therefore, it will gain more visibility and higher position in the search engine result page-SERP.
What the search engine optimization experts does is to game the system through building an un-natural and on purpose links to the webpage or content. This brings us to the next topic.
White Hat Vs Black Hat web optimization technique.
White hat techniques is regarded has the good way of building backlinks to a webpage
The best white hat technique is gaining links the natural way from authority websites and also encouraging shares on social media.
Black hat SEO is regarded has the bad way of building backlinks to a webpage.
The bad things that comprise of black hat SEO includes:
– Keywords stuffing
– Links from bad pages
– Poor content
– Using unethical and bad techniques to trick the search engine spider
– Buying back links
– Poor website design and irrelevant content.
Deeper insight into Search engine optimization or SEO
Do you know that having 10 to 15 links from an authority and relevant webpage is far better than having 100 or more links from a low quality website.
Most SEO companies provide low quality backlinks to their clients and some include links from shady sources.
Seek links from authority sites that requires resources, news site in your industry. A popular and respected directory service provider like Yahoo will boost your relevance. PR companies can get you the link you require easily through promotion on authority websites. See PRWeb or PRLog.
Google punishes sites that go against the rule of SEO, so be careful. Your hard work may be in futility if you do not exercise caution and avoid excessiveness.
– Do not be obsessed with Google rankings
– You do not need to overly depend on keyword research, you can build yours
– It takes time to became an authority, using the right means will help you gain quick visibility
– Do not look for links you do not need, it could harm your rankings
– Long tail search helps a lot
– Tweak and research, use Google webmaster tools to monitor your performance
Search engine optimization is not the end to it all; build useful content for your readers. Be relevant and provide helpful insight your website will get the natural links, it only requires time and patience.
There is no quick formula or fix to rank on search engines.