Be My Eyes App – helps the blind to see, through volunteers
Using technology to aid sight is quite marvelous, however Be My Eyes App is helping blind people see through the eyes of volunteers. The app currently works on iPhone and iPad and it requires both sighted and non-sighted users to download to use the app.
Things to know about the app
– Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.
– The size of the app is 63.1MB
– It requires a network connection and video based application
– 35+ Languages available
– Requires iOS 7.0 or later.
– Currently free to download on itunes.
How Be My Eyes App Works
Be My Eyes is all about contributing to and benefiting from small acts of kindness, so hop on board and get involved!
Blind users can request help from a sighted person and the sighted users will then be called for help. As soon as the first sighted user accepts the request for help a live audio-video connection will be set up between the two and the sighted user can tell the blind person what she sees when the blind user points his phone at something using the rear-facing camera.
As a sighted user you don’t need to worry about missing a call and ‘leave a blind person hanging’ – you are a part of the bigger Be My Eyes helper-network and we will find the next available sighted person in the network. The challenges that the blind person needs help with can be anything from knowing the expiry date on the milk to navigating new surroundings.
Note: We encourage blind users to be patient when requesting help.
– Live audio-video connection between blind and sighted users
– Add the languages you know under settings
– An easy way you can make a difference for blind people