Change Google Drive Location in Windows 8/8.1 PC
The need to change google drive location in windows 8 and 8.1 may be necessary because like most software installation, there is a default location for the new software within your c: drive.
Google drive is an online storage platform for users to store their documents, images, videos plus other essentials. It comes with a default 15GB of storage for all Google account owners.
You can increase the storage limit by buying more space on Google Drive. Most google drive owners want to have their google drive storage as their default document file.
This can be likened to what you have on most window 8 and windows 8.1 integration of Microsoft OneDrive on PC, which is similar to Google Drive.
Features of Google Drive
- It is a safe place to keep all your files
- Enable viewing of files offline
- You can store any file, your graphic file, images, videos, music, software’s and all file types.
- You can sync and access you files from any device.
- Set sharing permissions to view, comment, or edit
- Files and folders can be shared easily, there is no need for email attachments.
- It is free for up to 15 GB, buying extra 100 GB or more space is affordable and cheap.
- Search for files by name and content
- Downloads are available for Mac/PC, Android and iOS.
- See file details and activity
Download Google Drive for Android
A few challenges that may be met while using Google drive or with the solution itself can be found below.
- There is a need to add folder sync to the Google drive
- One Drive currently gives more free space than Google drive does.
- They should have added an option to determine how you want you files downloaded or saved.
- Document upload can be hectic and burdensome if you cannot bear the pace.
- Their is need to add pin lock settings to protect your documents.
- The other party has to have a Google account before getting access to the document shared.
- It lacks hybrid capacity to share online and send via email.
- To avoid some tedious tasks, display all option should be added to Google drive.
Now back to the main business, well it is important you have an idea of what you are about to discover.
Download Google Drive for iOS
Change Google Drive Location in Windows 8 and 8.1
The methods described below are short guides to solve the issue raised, to avoid errors pay attention to details. Also note that Google Drive gets updated from time to time, you must be on the look out for changes.
The first Method described below is ideal for all situations.
- Click the three dots in the top right hand corner, or the drive icon if it is showing on your device.
- Choose Preferences, a new window will open.
- Choose Disconnect account, your Drive will be disconnected but your files will stay on your PC, make sure you do not have any file currently in sync.
- Click on the three dots or Google Drive icon again
- Sign in with your username and password and follow the instruction that follows. Click on Advanced setup
- Click Change to choose the folder name and location – if you choose an existing folder it must be empty
- Your files will now be re-synced down to your PC in this new location
- You have the option of deleting your old files.
If you get any error message while the configuration is going on, please ignore it and go ahead with the next instruction. If it does not work it is most likely a step is missing or there is an update that might have changed the procedure.
To avoid account disconnection you can try the method below.
- Click on the three dots or the Google Drive icon
- Select Quit Google Drive
- This is the tricky part: You need to move the Google drive folder to the desired location within the same drive. Moving it to another drive will cause error.
- Start the Google Drive all over.
- You will be greeting with a Google drive is missing error, proceed inspite of the warning. Click on the error.
- A window will pop up, choose Locate folder and go find the new Google Drive folder.
- Ocne you select the drive, you are fine. This method will prevent syncing of files afresh.
Getting results with the methods above depends on the user, method one has a high success rate due to the fact that it is straight forward.
If you have succeeded in changing the google drive location on your PC comment below to encourage others.