How to build a sitemap manually – XML for dynamic sites.
Sitemaps are basically a map of your site. It defines the URL structure and helps search engines know what is contained in your site so search engines can find those pages.
Types of Sitemaps
- XML – A file you list all URLs of your website. This type is called “Sitemap” and is created for search engine crawlers
- HTML – This type of sitemap is created for visitors to your website. A web page you show the structure of your website.
How to Create a Sitemap
You can either manually create your sitemap or automate the process. WordPress users can get xml sitemap plugins that will help them generate sitemaps for their websites.
To create a Sitemap based on the Sitemap protocol:
- Create a text file and save it with a .xml extension.
- Add the following to the top of the file:xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
- Add the following to the bottom of the file:</urlset>
- Create an entry for each URL. The
<loc>tag is required; the others are optional.http://www.example.com/ <lastmod>2005-01-01 monthly 0.8
- Upload your Sitemap to your site. Then submit it to Google using Webmaster Tools.
Make sure to put the date in the correct format which is YYYY-MM-DD
The lastmod, changefreq, and priority are all optional fields.
Lastmod: The last date the page was modified.
Changefreq: How often does the page change? Options for input are:
always, hourly, daily, weekly, monthly, yearly and never.
Priority: What is the priority of the page? The scale is from 0.0 to 1.0 where 1.0 is the highest priority.
The process is quite simple and straight forward.